June 2020 - Financial Workflow Updates
We previewed the new update in a webinar last month - check out the recording on the Development Roadmap article here. There's a chapter list in the lower right corner of the video so you can jump to a specific feature.
Updated Deposit and Invoice Schedule Workflow
We have updated and streamlined our deposit invoice workflow:
- We are no longer using deposit items in the inventory. If you were using this workflow, you either have been or will be contacted by our Client Success team to assist you in transitioning to the new workflow.
- You will now use the regular Create Invoice slider and select the Deposit Invoice option, entering a flat amount or a percentage of the event charges. This deposit invoice will then be able to be credited against the event's final invoice, without having to create account credits.
- You will also be able to create invoice schedule templates and apply them to your events, enabling you to create your deposit invoices with just a few clicks.
An overview of the new deposit workflow is available here. This article also links to step-by-step instructions for various steps in the process.
Updated Refund Workflow
With the new refund workflow, you are able to issue refunds with just a few clicks. Simply allocate the full payment amount to the invoice, save, and then click the new Create Refund button. Full documentation of the refund workflow can be found here.
Discount Types and GL Codes
We have transitioned event discounts to use Discount Types. This allows you to set up standard flat and percentage discount types which are then easily applied to events. These types are also tied to specific GL codes, allowing you to record discounts in their own ledger account.
As a part of the release, we created one flat and one percentage discount type on each account. If the current workflow is working well for you, you can use the basic types we added. If you would like to customize the types and/or add GL codes, go to the new Setup section in Inventory and Pricing and look for the Discount Types tab.
Function Types & Statuses
Functions will now have statuses, and you can also add function types. The function statuses are planning, ready, and canceled. You are able to set your own function types in the Sys Admin section; types could include performance, load-in, open to the public - anything that is useful for your venue. Both types and statuses can be used for filtering in list views, the Operations view, and on documents and reports.
- Task templates now have a description field. Descriptions added to tasks in the template will be added to the task when the template is applied to an event.
- Taxes, services charges, discounts, payments, and credits can now be itemized with GL codes (if applicable) on invoices.
- On the rental rates tab and slider, we've added the time of each booked space.
- When you create an account inline (such as when booking an event), you can now mark the new account as tax exempt.
- If you update the time of a booked space, the quantity on the corresponding rental rate would not update if it was already set. We've added an Update Quantities button which will recalculate that for you.
- Do you book on the grid or day calendars? You can now select dates dragging vertically, not just horizontally.
Account and Contact Hierarchies
You can now set a Parent Account for accounts and a Reports To contact for contacts. By using these new fields, you will build hierarchies that allow you to see the functional relationships of your accounts or contacts. For example, when working with a client that has multiple offices or subsidiaries, its account hierarchy will allow you to see a nested list of all related accounts. On an account's or contact's details page, click the new tree icon to open the hierarchy slider.
Inventory and Pricing
- We have implemented a new Setup tab in Inventory and Pricing:
- We've moved GL codes, taxes, and services charges out of price schedules and into the Setup tab. This means you only need to create your lists once to use in any price schedule. NOTE: In moving this data, we matched on name and code/percentage but there were accounts which were not consistent in applying GL codes to the same service charge/tax. Please take a few moments to look over your GL code, tax, and service charge lists to make sure that all information has been merged correctly.
- We've moved inventory units and payment types from Sys Admin to the new Setup tab.
- This is also where the setup for the new discount types, credit types, refund types, deposit types, and invoice schedule templates are located.
- There is a new permission controlling access to the setup tab: users may have no access, view, or edit access. Any role which had view or edit access to inventory and pricing previously will have view or edit access to the setup tab. You can edit this permission as needed.
- Updates/additions to GL codes:
- Inventory items now have an expense GL code as well as a revenue GL code.
- You can now select a GL code when adding additional revenue.
- GL codes are now inactivated rather than removed. GL codes which are inactived will not be removed from charges on events; to update that information the event's price schedule must be refreshed.
Payments and Credits
- Payments and Credits will now have a system-generated unique number.
- Payments and Credits can now be associated with events.
- When you add or edit a payment/credit, you will be able to search for and select an event.
- Associated payments and credits will be listed on the event's Payments tab. You can add payments and credits there as well.
- Document access was not defaulting to all roles. When uploading documents, all roles will now be selected by default. Note: This gives access to users with those roles, it does not remove any viewing restriction.
- If an area rental rate was added to a room which did not have area added to it, the rental rates slider would error and rental rates could not be saved. Now, a quantity of
0will be loaded.
- On the calendar, rooms added after a saved view was created were not available in the color by room list.
- On the Aging Report export, the totals row did not align properly with their columns.
- The number of hours on date/time ranges was an intenger rather than decimal, causing the value to round to the nearest hour rather than allowing shorter time increments. This was not seen in the app, but the result of it was seen in Insights and on templates.
- Function and item dates were getting misaligned when the event was moved and then the function was moved or copied.
- Date and time validation on event-wide items were not taking the end date into account.
- On list views, if columns were hidden dragging would resize the wrong column.
- When adding dates to existing events via the Create Event slider, inquiries will no longer appear in search results. Inquiry dates are changed using this process.
- In the calendar Display Options, the expected attendance caption is now estimated attendance so it is consistent with the display on the calendar.
- Payment and credit totals were being miscalculated for the balance on the Create Invoice and Edit Invoice sliders. Note that this was a UI issue only: balances were saved correctly to the database.
- Date/time validation had unexpected behavior on event-wide instructions.
- Cross-venue users were able to remove spaces from events via the room selector on the Edit Spaces slider as well as the Edit Booked Spaces slider.
- On the detailing slider, the No Departments section would appear even if all inventory categories were assigned to a department.
- Insights dashboards would occasionally fail to load.
- Saved views without an owner could be marked as private, rendering them inaccessible.
- Exhibitors were able to return to in-process orders and complete them after the exhibitor store closed.
- When items and instructions in event-wide details were copied to a new event, their dates were not updated.
- Changing event-wide details would prompt all event orders to update, even if they didn't include them.
- When merging accounts, the Require Purchase Order field wasn't labeled.