Use an Invoice Schedule
Invoice schedules create a placeholder for every invoice you'll be sending to the client and will simplify the process of creating your deposit invoices. This also helps you track deposit invoices that need to be issued for upcoming events. For more information about creating invoice schedule templates, see Create an Invoice Schedule Template.
Invoice for Deposits
Once an invoice schedule is added to an event, you can begin creating your deposit invoices. You'll begin by creating the deposit invoice for your first installment.
To create a deposit invoice:
- Confirm that all charges upon which the deposit invoice should be based are selected. For instructions on adding charges to an invoice schedule, please see Add Charges to an Invoice Schedule.
- Click Create Invoice by the installment.
- The account, due date, template, and amount (whether the percentage of charges, flat amount, or amount of remaining charges) are auto-filled from the schedule. Select a billing contact and add a purchase order number (if necessary), then click Save.
- The invoice is created and can now be downloaded and sent. The Create Invoice button for the next installment will appear.
- We do not recommend creating the invoice until you are ready to send it; if charges are added or changed, it would need to be updated.
- Be sure to mark the invoice as sent if you are sending the invoice outside of Elite, especially if the balance is based on a percentage of charges. This will lock it so it cannot be changed.
Continue detailing the event as needed. If items are updated, the remaining installments and final payment will reflect those changes. If additional items are added to the event, they will need to be selected on the invoice schedule, if necessary. You'll see a warning if any charges are not included on an invoice schedule.
Create and send each installment on its issue date. To be reminded to send an installment, you could create a corresponding task template to apply to the event. We also have an installment dashboard which you check for upcoming installments (contact us to request this dashboard).
Create the Final Invoice
Before you create the final invoice, be sure that the invoice schedule has been updated as needed:
- Make sure all charges to be billed on this invoice are included in the invoice schedule. There will be a warning on the schedule if there are any charges not included.
- If an installment was not needed, edit the invoice schedule and click the X by it to remove it from the schedule.
- All deposit invoices can be selected to be credited towards the final invoice whether they are paid or not. If a deposit invoice was not paid, you will need to decide whether you are going to collect on the deposit invoice or roll that into the final invoice. If you prefer to roll the deposit into the final invoice, void the deposit invoice and remove its installment from the invoice schedule.
- If you need to return a damage deposit, add a 100% discount against that item on the event. To simplify this, you can create a discount type specifically for this scenario.
- If the event is canceled and you are going to either not refund the deposit or charge a cancellation fee, apply an item to the event of the appropriate amount. This will allow you to realize that amount as revenue. When creating the final invoice, apply the full amount of all deposits to the invoice.
To create the final invoice:
- Click Create Invoice by the final invoice.
- The account, due date, and document template are auto-filled from the schedule. Select a billing contact and add a purchase order number (if necessary). Click Select Charges.
- All deposit invoices are selected by default, regardless of payment status. Uncheck any deposit invoices you do not wish to be credited towards this invoice.
- Confirm that all charges to be billed are selected and click Select.
- Payments and credits can be allocated. If the client has overpaid, you may allocate the entire payment amount and issue a refund.
- Once all information is complete and correct, click Save.
- The final invoice will be created and can be downloaded or sent.